[Note: This post will stay at the top of the page for awhile; new posts are below.]
The recent problems Shakesville has been experiencing, including the disappearance from which we’ve just returned, are due to sustained Denial of Service attacks that have been going on for months with varying intensity. And I’ve got just two words for the detestable wankstain dregs of society with which we’ve been dealing:
Shakesville has now moved to its own dedicated server, which will better protect us and has enabled us to more effectively counter the onslaught.
A dedicated server costs money, though, and Shakesville doesn’t have enough traffic and/or isn’t niche enough to make the money we need from ads. (When I ran ads before, I didn’t make enough to cover my internet service, no less our own server.) I would prefer to do this for free forever, but I just can’t absorb all the costs myself anymore. Other people besides me are going to have to invest in this community if it’s to have a future.
So, with a nod to our conservative friends, we’ll let the market guide us—if Shakesville is worth something to you, throw a little something into the hat in the lefthand sidebar—and with a nod to our progressive values, we’re going to keep on building this awesome community. Whatever you can spare will be much appreciated—and in return for your donation, you’ll get:
* raucous, top-notch, and voluminous blogging every day on progressive politics and culture
* a safe space in which racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, sizism, etc. will not be tolerated
* some of the best comments threads in the whole of the blogosphere
* as much accommodation of what the Shakers want and need functionally from the site as is possible
* free drinks at the hottest virtual pub there is
* more feminazi cooter than you can shake a stick at
* and the sincere gratitude and continued writing, design, and maintenance services of your devoted blogmistress, who also promises to carry on finding, supporting, assisting, and promoting new/smaller bloggers any way she can.
Thanks for your support and encouragement, Shakers. Many thanks to those who have already contributed and to our fellow bloggers who posted about our situation. We’re glad as blazes to be back.
Take it away, Bill Haley and the Comets!